Whether it is following an injury or surgery, it is likely that your skin will form a visible scar as part of the natural healing process. How long scars take to heal can vary depending on what caused the scar, how visible it is and your general skin type. If you want to minimize the appearance and feel of your scars, it is important to care for them properly, and that can mean using a different tactic at different scar healing stages.
- Care for wounds as early in the healing process as possible, to reduce scarring.
- Always wait until the wound, injury, or initial concern has healed before applying scar care products.
- Once your skin has healed, build up your scar care to help reduce the redness and visibility of your scar.
In this article, we’ll explain:
- How long do scars take to heal and what causes them
- What causes scarring
- How long do scars take to heal
- When to start caring for scars
- Injury and surgery scars
- Burn scars
- Acne scars